Friday, October 25, 2013

Power of Shazam#18, prelim to finished cover

Here's another preliminary drawing I did, before the painting stage on Power of Shazam#18. I worked out detail, and composition, and also set my perspective on tracing paper (vellum) at same size as the cover art (11 x17"). I used a lightbox  to transfer this image in pencil, to a sheet of 2 ply Strathmore bristol board, and then applied the watercolor paint to the clean board.

    I wanted a warm feel, with sunlight coming through the window, but still wanted it to read "hospital room" with the green radiator. With watercolors on large areas, you have to work fast, and apply color uniformly. That's always a challenge, but with the board taped down to keep it from wrinkling, I apply water to the entire area I want to lay a specific color to, and this helps with drying time, so you can swab paint down into damp paper.
     At this stage, I am pretty sure I hadn't had a clear visual on the menace whose hands are coming for Mary Marvel, except that he'd have been horribly scarred. Peter Krause was drawing the comic's interiors from my scripts, and I believe he actually designed the villain.
     Anyhow, the only other thing to add, is that I used a photo of my wife in this pose, to capture the lighting more realistically. I don't do this very often, but it helps when you want a realistic effect. I think in this case, it made for a more dramatic cover.



Power of Shazam, and all related characters are trademark and copyright 2013 by DC Entertainment, and used here for educational purposes.

11 comments:

Daniel Graves said...

That's a great cover, Jerry! Thanks for the trip down memory lane!
Fr. Dan

Tim said...

Wow. Another great piece of art and history. Please tell me you are going to hit some conventions soon. I'd love to get a sketch and get some comics signed by you.

Mike Mikulovsky said...

Hi Jer
I of course loved all these painted covers for the POS. It's always interesting to read the stage by stage process of these gems. Thanks for sharing this with all of us.

blizzardtonight said...

hi jerry, great cover!!!do you still own it?

Dærick Gröss Sr. said...

Typically awesome..... :D

Jason Statham said...

I would never like to fail out any chance to read out your listings. best wp themes

Cleaning Company Dubai UAE said...

Just what do we all mean simply by Deep Washing? Deep Washing is complete and in depth cleaning of one's property. It indicates not simply lifting and also removing airborne dirt and dust, dirt and also grime but in addition sanitizing the room that will be cleaned. Strong cleaning requires reaching, cleaning and also sanitizing all areas including people areas which can be not reached through the routine washing. cleaning services in dubai

Amelia langford said...

I really enjoy reading your post about this Posting. This sort of clever work and coverage! Keep up the wonderful works guys, thanks for sharing.
Gown manufacturer

Anonymous said...

Your essay provides excellent information; thank you for taking the time to share such a valuable resource with us. You have incredible insight into this, and it's great to come across a website that provides new perspectives to a variety of people. So we're going to take our topic about facebook chat generator. This article shows how individuals can be surprised by this approach of pranking them with phoney Facebook chats that look like actual Facebook talks.

Ocean Tech Blog said...

I really appreciate this post. Sometimes it is difficult to find the good out of the bad. Would you like to update more information? I have a blog How Helpful to Access Game Trials.

Ruth R. Peck said...

Nice article. I really enjoy the information you offer in your article. Can Xbox and PC play Roblox together?